Hi Ben,

Thanks for posting that - good to see a start on plugging
that gap.

On 28/06/2019 17:52, Ben Schwartz wrote:
> Hi TLS,
>
> This is a proposal for a very simple new protocol whose main purpose is to
> enable ESNI "split mode".  Ultimately, I hope that this protocol can also
> enable more end-to-end TLS, by reducing the need for load-balancers to
> terminate TLS.

I guess an alternative would be to wrap this metadata and
the TLS session in another possibly long-lived TLS session
between the LB and backend. That'd have the benefit of not
requiring a PSK, making correlation of the CH etc from TLS
client to LB with the LB to backend non-trivial(*), but I
guess at the cost of more CPU and per-packet overhead.

The fact that a network observer can so easily correlate
the inbound TLS packets to the LB with those outbound seems
like a fairly major downside of this approach to me.

The PSK would also make it hard to offer ESNI fronting to
random backends without pre-arrangement between the LB and
backend, should that be something someone wanted to do. I
think that would allow less centralised deployment of ESNI,
which I think is a pretty desirable option to preserve.

Also: a diagram would really help make the draft easier to
grok:-)

Cheers,
S.

(*) When I say non-trivial here I don't mean "very hard":-)