On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 5:49 PM Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 04:57:17PM -0400, Richard Barnes wrote:
> > I don't think anyone's asking for these cases to be differentiable on the
> > wire.  The question is whether the *server* can differentiate, in
> > particular, the application running on the server.
>
> And the answer to that one is "yes", because the server has control over
> the PSK IDs.

That glosses over an important distinction made up-thread: When we say "the
server", there is typically a distinction between the TLS stack and the
server application logic.  Resumption PSKs are typically controlled by the
TLS stack, while external PSKs are provided by the application logic.  The
question is how the application logic, when presented with a session
authenticated under a given PSK ID, can distinguish whether the PSK used
was one provided by the TLS stack for resumption, or provided by the
application logic.

--Richard