Thanks Ekr. I have created PR https://github.com/tlswg/dtls13-spec/pull/138
implementing the suggestion.
________________________________
From: Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com>
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 4:30 PM
To: Hanno Becker <hanno.bec...@arm.com>
Cc: tls@ietf.org <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] [DTLS] ACK's for post-handshake authentication requests

Thanks. This seems like a good improvement. I have filed
https://github.com/tlswg/dtls13-spec/issues/128 to track it.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 8:29 AM Hanno Becker
<hanno.bec...@arm.com<mailto:hanno.bec...@arm.com>> wrote:
I have a minor comment on DTLS 1.3 draft 37.

On the topic of sending ACKs, the draft recommends:

```
ACKs SHOULD NOT be sent for other complete
flights because they are implicitly acknowledged by the receipt of
the next flight, which generally immediately follows the flight.
```

I wonder if the case of post-handshake authentication should be
explicitly mentioned as a potential exception to this rule, since
the TLS 1.3 RFC explicitly mentions that responses to
`CertificateRequest` may be delayed in some contexts:

```
Note: Because client authentication could involve prompting the user,
servers MUST be prepared for some delay, including receiving an
arbitrary number of other messages between sending the
CertificateRequest and receiving a response.
```

In this case, it would be beneficial to immediately explicitly ACK
the `CertificateRequest` message even though it is also implicitly
acked through the eventual response via the `Certificate` message.

Regards,
Hanno
medium. Thank you.
medium. Thank you.