More to the point, this makes it more difficult to analyze relative to an empty
"flag" extension of the likes we currently use.

I haven't implemented this, but I imagine one strategy would be to rewrite
these flags and pretend that they were empty extensions.  That would allow
implementations to reuse a lot of infrastructure, like the stuff we added for
custom extensions.  That would be more difficult if the server can speak first.