On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:28 AM Sean Turner <s...@sn3rd.com> wrote:

> Also, should we be adding “_legacy” to the names of the code points as was
> done for rsa_pkcs1_sha256_legacy by:
> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-davidben-tls13-pkcs1-00.txt?

My inclination is no. We didn't go about renaming the huge mess of TLS
cipher suites or anything else that I remember.

The "_legacy" suffix in that draft has a slightly different meaning
(perhaps I should have picked a different name). The existing
rsa_pkcs1_sha256 code points from TLS 1.2 were carried over into TLS 1.3
but with a subsetted meaning. In TLS 1.2, rsa_pkcs1_sha256 advertises both
TLS and X.509 capabilities, but in TLS 1.3 it advertises only X.509
capabilities. rsa_pkcs1_sha256 is undefined for a TLS CertificateVerify
because we took PKCS#1 v1.5 out. So, in order for TLS 1.3 servers to opt
into accepting PKCS#1 v1.5 signatures in CertificateVerify, the draft
needed to define new code points with a CertificateVerify capability.

rsa_pkcs1_sha256_tls1_3_certificate_verify_for_legacy_clients was a
mouthful, so I just added a "legacy" suffix. :-)

David