> The costs you describe are trivial.

The general idea among developers these days that CPU
cycles are free is a huge problem.

You didn't answer my biggest question, though, which was
whether you (or anybody else!) has had success using stateless
HelloRetryRequest to increase the number of connections a
datacenter can handle due to the fact that the servers were
memory-bound.  The amount of memory to hold the first
ClientHello message is trivial.  But if doing stateless HRR has
measurably increased the performance of a data center's web
serving capability, I'll change my mind about it.

> We also implement DTLS where this is properly useful.

I can't find the DTLS 1.3 spec.  Which RFC is it?

Mike