On Tue, Oct 6, 2020, at 17:36, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> In the work on QUIC did you discuss the ability to make the encoding
> such that there are no ways to express a number in two different ways,
> as shown in your example with the single byte 25 decoding to 37 and the
> two byte sequence 40 25?

For QUIC, where the performance impact of serialization and parsing was
considered important, the additional cost involved was a little higher than I
think some people wanted.  It also makes the encoding more complex.

A "distinguished" or canonical encoding wasn't critical there.  It's probably
not critical here either.