> It is incredibly difficult to draw a line so precisely as to where the threat
> to a
> device begins and ends, given the wide range of deployment scenarios.  If a
> device can be at all critical (and even if it isn’t), then it should be
> upgraded or
> replaced.  Better that this be out there in its current form so that other
> organizations that specify TLS requirements can pick this document up
> without any wiggle room or ambiguity.  Also, we do not have a “Sometimes
> Deprecated” category, nor do I think we should start here.
>
> Eliot

Speaking as someone who has participated in internal discussions on whether to
ignore something like this (e.g., even after Wi-Fi Alliance deprecated WEP
there was a decision to continue to support WEP for a few years because of the
embedded base of non-upgradable devices; same for WPA1), I would suggest the
strong, unambiguous statement with explanation for why the statement is being
made. There is no need to describe (possible) exceptions. If someone feels a
strong need to ignore this in their own network, they will have no difficulty
doing so (and have no difficulty justifying it to themselves and others inside
their org). I don't think IETF help is needed to figure out these
scenarios/reasons/justifications.
Barbara