From: Ben Schwartz <bem...@google.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 10:57 AM
To: Peter Gutmann <pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Cc: Jack Visoky <jmvis...@ra.rockwell.com>; <tls@ietf.org> <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] EXTERNAL: TLS 1.3 Authentication and Integrity only Cipher
Suites

Hardware support for AES but not SHA2 is extremely common.  For devices without
acceleration, ChaCha20-Poly1305 is likely to be faster than SHA256 (e.g.
according to https://www.bearssl.org/speed.html).

Unless your device has hardware offload for SHA256 but _not_ for AES (a rare
combination), you can likely do AEAD faster than these integrity-only
ciphersuites.  The draft implies that performance ("latency", "processing
power") is a motivation for using these ciphers.  (It also mentions "runtime
memory footprint" and "the need to minimize the number of cryptographic
algorithms used", which are separate considerations.)

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 7:41 PM Peter Gutmann
<pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz<mailto:pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz>> wrote:
Ben Schwartz
<bemasc=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:40google....@dmarc.ietf.org>> writes:

>If you are updating the text, I would recommend removing the claim about
>performance.  In general, the ciphersuites specified in the text are likely
>to be slower than popular AEAD ciphersuites like AES-GCM.

Uhh... when is AES-GCM faster than SHA2, except on systems with hardware
support for AES-GCM and no hardware support for SHA2?

Peter.