I know that ECH doesn't provide security against probing attackers, but
such an attacker could easily maintain a list of active keys, and drop
connections using them.
If the key ID is very long, this would be highly effective at allowing
grease ECH connections, but blocking real ECH connections.

An adversary using this strategy against a one byte id would have high
collateral damage, but against an eight byte id would virtually none.

Providing some resistance to probing adversaries is a nice-to-have, even if
we can't provide complete protection.

My preference would be for a shorter id.

Regards,

Jonathan