The operators themselves are probably not in a position to either implement
supported_versions or not in TLS 1.2. If an operator, for whatever reason,
only has a TLS 1.2 implementation on hand, it presumably predates TLS 1.3
and thus does not implement supported_versions. If it implements
supported_versions, it presumably postdates TLS 1.3 and the operator should
enable the TLS 1.3 bit.

So, yes, I'd agree there's not much benefit to recommend that a
TLS-1.2-only implementation add supported_versions, or that an operator
look for such an implementation. Any implementation-gated effort is better
spent getting to TLS 1.3.