On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 6:30 AM Ben Schwartz <bemasc=
40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 7:50 AM Kristijan Sedlak <xpeperm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> The record layer of the cTLS skips the "profile_id" in the
>> CTLSServerPlaintext. I wonder how will an endpoint correctly distinguish
>> between multiple, CID-ext-based CTLSClientPlaintext requests and
>> CTLSServerPlaintext responses when the same socket is used for client and
>> server communication.
>

> It sounds like you are thinking about cases where (1) a single 5-tuple can
> be used for DTLS in both directions, (2) the parties have not already
> agreed who will be the client and who will be the server, and (3) there can
> be multiple handshakes in flight simultaneously.  In this case, a party who
> sends a ClientHello might receive a ServerHello, HRR, or a racing
> ClientHello in response.  This is not a use case I had thought about.  Is
> this considered a supported configuration for DTLS (with Connection IDs)?

When would this actually happen? In my experience the only situation in
which there is ambiguity about who will be the client and the server are
p2p-style applications and those need ICE for NAT traversal, so you already
have a way of determining who is who.

-Ekr