On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 03:49:28PM -0800, Watson Ladd wrote:

> > 20 years is a long time.  We can only reason about shorter timelines.
> > In the next ~5 years, I don't yet see a defensible reason to deprecate
> > TLS 1.2.
>
> 20 years from today we'll be dealing with products shipped out today.
> Doesn't it make sense to start saying TLS 1.2 will sunset at some day?

Products shipped today will typically support and prefer to negotiate
TLS 1.3, the ones that choose to not implement TLS 1.2 probably have a
reason for that choice.

The more positive message is encourage adoption of TLS 1.3 in all market
segments where it is applicable.  TLS 1.2 does not look so broken that
we need to apply a stick rather than offer a carrot.

--
    Viktor.