Hi,

This is my first e-mail to ietf.org . Bear over with me if the syntax is not correct. I'm working as a kernel developer for the FreeBSD project since very long and I'm directly involved with 100GBit/s network adapter drivers and AES-GCM TLS (v1.2 and v1.3) hardware offload directly on various network adapters (Chelsio and Mellanox(Nvidia mostly), both receive and transmit direction. Typically done using TCP/IP as a bearer.

During production there is a recurring problem to compute the authentication tags, that you technically need to feed all the TLS record data prior to the hash tag, in order for the hash tag to be correctly computed. This is because the socket buffer in the network stack contains plaintext data, and the network card itself is responsible for XOR-ing the AES-CTR pattern and then filling in the correct authentication tag.

The AES-CTR is position dependent and can easily be rewinded or forwarded by the byte offset in the TLS record, without having to re-DMA any plaintext data over the PCI bus. However the authentication tag is different.

As a proposal in general, entertainment content providers, do not require the same level of confidence, that the data really comes from the server as the security certificate indicates, which other content providers like banks require. Actually the purpose of TLS for video streaming is to prevent copying of video data, and also prevent eavesdropping on users, like figuring out what videos they are watching, and this need is entirely fulfilled by the AES-CTR mechanism. The additional authentication tag mechanism, then just becomes an additional burden for the server and also client, which really serves no purpose.

The proposal is to allocate a new "crypto codec number", forgive me if my terms are not accurate for IETF, mirroring the existing AES-GCM-XXX variants (128-bits / 192-bits / 256-bits), only that the hash tag area may be filled with random data or used for debugging purposes, and is completely ignored. Otherwise the protocols are identical.

This new algorithm will then be provided by the TLS / HTTPS server and negotiated as usual using OpenSSL and used when both parties agrees.

The purpose of this proposal is to separate encryption for entertainment purposes and for other non-entertainment purposes in an effort to simplify the server side for large entertainment services typically serving in multiples of 100GBit/s per single server. Where non-entertainment services are typically less than 10GBit/s for a much larger consumer volume, and can easily afford stronger authentication algorithms, usually all done in software anyway.

Comments are welcome!

--HPS