On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 12:45 PM Dennis Jackson <ietf=
40dennis-jackson...@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On 11/07/2023 15:48, Thom Wiggers wrote:
>
> > I enjoyed reading this draft. I think it is well-written. Aside from
> > some to-be-figured-out details that have already been pointed out, it
> > seems very practical, which is rather nice.
> Thanks!
> >
> > The one thing that makes me frown a bit is the intended versioning
> > scheme. I don't think consuming identifiers is a problem, but perhaps
> > we can pre-define the code points and variables for the next, say,
> > N=0xff years? Then the versioning mechanism is set for the foreseeable
> > future.
>
> I like the reduction of bookkeeping but I think we would need to work
> out which parts of the construction to make dynamic with an IANA
> registry. I wouldn't want to 'permanently' encode the root programs, CT
> trusted log lists or end entity compressed extensions for example.
>
> I don't really have a sense of what the idiomatic IETF solution is for
> this problem, so I settled for seemed like the least commitment method
> in the draft.

Arguably it will be necessary to encode the database in the final RFC.
Otherwise, you have what is effectively a normative reference to the
contents of the CCADB.

I haven't thought through this completely, but I mention it because it
may affect the rest of the design decisions if we end up with the
WG having to produce the database.

> (You could even say that we wrap the code points after N years).
>
> I don't know whether there'll be interest in using this scheme outside
> TLS (e.g. reducing storage / bandwidth costs in CT) but if there is then
> we'll probably want identifiers which are unambiguous over long timescales.

I'm not worried about code point exhaustion. Say we issued a new version
every 3 months and allocated a block of 256 code points, we would be
able to go without changes for 64 years.

-Ekr