From: TLS <tls-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Dennis Jackson
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2023 1:16 PM
To: Kampanakis, Panos <kpanos=40amazon....@dmarc.ietf.org>; TLS List
<tls@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL][TLS] Abridged Certificate Compression (server
participation)

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the
content is safe.

On 12/07/2023 05:02, Kampanakis, Panos wrote:

> The abridged certs draft requires a server who participates and fetches
> dictionaries in order to make client connections faster. As Bas has pointed
> out before, this paradigm did not work well with OSCP staples in the past.
> Servers did not chose to actively participate and go fetch them.
>
> Are we confident that servers would deploy the dictionary fetching mechanism
> to benefit their connecting clients?

I think OCSP staples is quite a bit different from this draft. OCSP Staples
requires the server to fetch new data from the CA every day or week. It's
inherently hard to do this reliably, especially with the large number of poor
quality or poorly maintained OCSP servers and the large fraction of operators
who do not want their servers making outbound connections. Besides these
barriers I don't think the benefit was huge as clients already cached OCSP
client per week (this was before network partitioning in browsers) and at worst
it was breaking your website entirely.

In contrast, this draft aims to speed up every connection that isn't using
session tickets, cause no harm if its misconfigured or out of date and be slow
moving enough that the dictionaries can be shipped as part of a regular
software release and so suitable for anyone willing to update their server
software once a year (or less). Similarly, these updates aren't going to
involve code changes, just changes to the static dictionaries, so they are
suitable for backporting or ESR releases.

It would definitely be good to hear from maintainers or smaller operators if
they have concerns though!