> My point is that the relevant semantics here are application semantics,
> not TLS semantics.
>
> Regardless of what TLS says, nothing stops an application protocol from
> allowing A to decide it doesn't care what B has to say and sending
> close_notify then closing the transport connection. At this point, whatever
> the B does is irrelevant because A isn't listening.

Agree.

TLS 1.2 imposed full close semantics.

Agree.

What TLS 1.3 does is allow applications to choose *either* full close or
> half close semantics,

(That is unclear to me from RFC 8446.)

but doesn't have a TLS-level signal of which one the application wants. So,
> the application can either have:
>
> - Once the other side sends close_notify, just stop sending ASAP (full
> close)
> - Once the other side sends close_notify, don't expect anything else, but
> send what you want to send (half close).

TLS implementations with full close don't provide high-level applications
with such choice (e.g., Bouncy Castle) whilst implementations with half
close do (e.g., OpenJDK).