Hi all,

we have just submitted a draft that extends the key update functionality of
TLS/DTLS 1.3.
We call it the "extended key update" because it performs an ephemeral
Diffie-Hellman as part of the key update.

The need for this functionality surfaced in discussions in a design team of the
TSVWG. The need for it has, however, already been discussed years ago on the
TLS mailing list in the context of long-lived TLS connections in industrial IoT
environments.
Unlike the TLS 1.3 Key Update message, which is a one-shot message, the
extended Key Update message requires a full roundtrip.

Here is the link to the draft:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tschofenig-tls-extended-key-update/

I am curious what you think.

Ciao