Thx Deirdre for bringing it up.

David,

ACK. I think the overall point of our paper is that application performance is
more closely related to PQ TTLB than PQ TTFB/handshake.

Snippet from the paper

> Google’s PageSpeed Insights [12] uses a set of metrics to measure the user
> experience and webpage performance. The First Contentful Paint (FCP), Largest
> Contentful Paint (LCP), First Input Delay (FID), Interaction to Next Paint
> (INP), Total Blocking Time (TBT), and Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS) metrics
> include this work’s TTLB along with other client-side, browser
> application-specific execution delays. The PageSpeed Insights TTFB metric
> measures the total time up to the point the first byte of data makes it to
> the client. So, PageSpeed Insights TTFB is like this work’s TTFB/TLS
> handshake time with additional network delays like DNS lookup, redirect,
> service worker startup, and request time.

Specifically about the Web, TTLB (as defined in the paper) is directly related
to FCP, LCP, FID, INP, TBT, CLS, which are 6 of the 7 metrics in Google’s
PageSpeed Insights. We don’t want to declare that TTLB is the ultimate metric,
but intuitively, I think it is a better indicator when it comes to application
performance than TTFB.

That does not intend to underestimate the importance of the studies on
handshake performance which was crucial to identify the best performing new
KEMs and signatures. It also does not intend to underestimate the importance of
slimming down PQ TLS 1.3 handshakes as much as possible.

Side note about Rob’s point:
We have not collected QUIC TTLB data yet, but I want to say that the paper’s
TTLB experimental results could more or less be extended to QUIC be subtracting
one RTT. OK, I don’t have experimental measurements to prove it yet. So I will
only make this claim and stop until I have more data.