Hi all,

I have just pushed a minor update to the AuthKEM [1] and AuthKEM-PSK [2]
drafts. I also have a new “reference” implementation of AuthKEM.

AuthKEM allows authentication via KEM public keys, which in particular might
save a lot of handshake traffic if you can replace ML-DSA by ML-KEM. This
approach is particularly interesting if we can mitigate the overhead of the
other signatures of the handshake using e.g. Merkle Tree Certificates.

The reference implementation lives at [3]. I have only implemented AuthKEM
server authentication right now; PSK and client auth will follow at some later
point. The diff with the main branch of Rustls [4] might be particularly
interesting if you want to see what the impact of an implementation of AuthKEM
might be. Note that a large part of this diff is just instantiating Rustls'
pluggable crypto provider API.

The updates to the drafts include some things that I found when implementing
the specified scheme, and I pinned some code points for experimental use
(though with a note that these are not stable).

As always, if you have questions or comments, you know where to find us.

Cheers,

Also on behalf of my co-authors,

Thom

[1]: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-celi-wiggers-tls-authkem/