On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 06:14:00PM +0100, Dennis Jackson wrote:

> Trust Expressions, though intended to solve completely different problems,
> will accidentally eradicate both of these advantages. Firstly, it provides a
> nice on ramp for a new domestic trust store, mostly through the negotiation
> aspect but also through the CA pre-distribution. Secondly, by enabling
> fragmentation along geographic boundaries whilst maintaining availability of
> websites. Without Trust Expressions, we cannot balkanize TLS. With Trust
> Expressions, we can and we know people who want to (not anyone in this
> thread).

One detail of Trust Expressions is that the extension value is
TrustExpressionList, not TrustExpression. That is, client can signal
support for multiple root programs.

Thus, client X in region Y would signal X+Y, not X_Y to the server. The
server that does not want to care about Y can then pick X (which is
global) and send certificate accordingly.

If getting cert in Y is way more painful than getting cert in X, that
is further incentive to do just that... And that one region is one of
those cases.

And even if it isn't more painful, having more certificates is still
more painful, so there is incentive to avoid that.

The acknowledgement does not say which root program the server used.

> I would suggest we focus our discussion on the use cases of Trust
> Expressions and how exactly it would work in practice - these concerns I
> shared earlier in the thread are solely technical and operational and you
> and I might be able to make better progress towards a common understanding.

As for my guesses about how well Trust Expressions would work in
practice for various cases presented:

- It would not make CA distrusts less painful.

  I expect most sites do not have alternate certificates that are not
  off some oddball issuers for some weird devices. Such certificates
  are not usable for browser usecases, as those either have never
  been in the trust store, or have fallen out of it.

- It is very effective at intermediate suppression.

  If the client can keep up even remotely up to date, I expect ~100%
  supression. This includes compat cross-signs that will pop up if
  root programs shorten root lifetimes.

- It does help Post-Quantum deployment quite a lot.

  Without, until major four all accept common roots, PQ transition is
  dead in the water. And if site needs to deal with oddball clients,
  it is dead until quantum armageddon. Not a good place to be, to put
  it mildly.

  The SHA-1 to SHA-2 transion was rather painful and took over 10 years.

- It could be used for migrating stuff off WebPKI.

  There is all sorts of stuff tacked on WebPKI that is constant source
  of pain (especially in any sort of transitions). Getting it off
  WebPKI into private PKIs would cut the pain by quite a bit. TE could
  be used that way.

  I propose API in client TLS libraries that let's cliet use a custom
  root program, that then gets signaled to server via TE. I do plan
  to add such API to the TLS library I wrote (later, when TE can
  archive interop).

-Ilari