From: Keith Dunnett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: March 6, 2006 3:44 PM
To: Schlarb, Henry
Cc: tmda-users@tmda.net
Subject: Re: How to for Postfix

Schlarb, Henry wrote:

>I administer several email domains, many that are no longer in active
>use, attract a lot of spam but must remain available for business
>reasons.
>Is there a how to available that would allow me to add the inactive
>domains so that only these domains pass through TMDA?
>Management is not in favor of a total TMDA solution but putting the
>inactive ones through that scrutiny is fine.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such howto. It's not easily
possible to set TMDA up as a postfix transport without scripting
something to set environment variables per user, and you would need to
achieve that in order to use Postfix access controls.

We achieve the same effect via maildrop; postfix delivers to maildrop,
which checks using a shell command for a per-user opt-in file and then
runs TMDA if appropriate.
This approach is a pig to
set up (ask if interested) but has the advantage that you can manage
mail any way you want.

For example, we run both SpamAssassin and DSPAM first, and let TMDA get
involved only when the message is not found to be spam or viral and at
least *might* be legitimate. This reduces the number of unnecessary
challenges sent to non-existent addresses or the victims of joe jobs.

In my opinion, TMDA works better for those who use and maintain it daily
than for a quarantine with occasional maintenance. If most of your mail
is spam, most of your challenges will bounce while legitimate mail may
wait some time for authorisation. While this might work in your
situation, I am inclined to think that a greylisting and/or
content-filtering solution is more appropriate.

Options which come to mind are:

- greylisting using gps or postgrey (using gps at least, you can combine
with Postfix access controls to opt domains or addresses out of
greylisting).

- content filtering with spamassassin, although be aware that this will
increase the load on your mail server in a big way. Useful with a very
high threshold for discarding proven spam without human intervention;
use it with a normal threshold and you *will* get false positives.

- content filtering with DSPAM, perhaps involving shared groups. This is
the best solution in my opinion, because it will be useful for active
domains as much as for inactive ones, has an opt-in mechanism built in
and backended to MySQL, and you can take the data of the users who train
DSPAM and create a global corpus for those who don't. It will however
take time and training to start working, whereas TMDA or SA will start
working from day one.

You could also combine some or all of the above for greater
effectiveness, as we do, but if I had to choose one based on your
requirements, it would be DSPAM. We use all of the above; if you decide
to go the maildrop/tmda route, I can probably supply some maildroprc
snippets to help with integration.

Oh, and one trick you *can* do with postfix, for a start, is apply a
bunch of DNSBLs to your inactive domains, which you might not wish to
use on the active ones...

/etc/postfix/main.cf:

smtpd_restriction_classes = use_dnsbls
use_dnsbls = check_client_access pcre:/etc/postfix/access/dnsbl_config
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        *** other restrictions here, snipped for simplicity ***
        reject_unauth_destination,
        check_recipient_access
pcre:/etc/postfix/access/dnsbl_recipients,
        permit

/etc/postfix/access/dnsbl_recipients:

/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/               DUNNO
/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/       DUNNO
/./                             use_dnsbls

Anything listed with DUNNO is exempted from what follows; you can exempt
entire domains, specific addresses, or whatever. This is by recipient
e-mail address, or any part of it.

/etc/postfix/access/dnsbl_config:

/.yahoo.com/                DUNNO
/.gmail.com/                  DUNNO
/.googlegroups.com/     DUNNO
/.groups.msn.com/        DUNNO
/./                     reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,
                        reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
                        reject_rbl_client virbl.dnsbl.bit.nl,
                        reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
                        reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
                        reject_rbl_client dnsbl.ahbl.org

while here, we have exemptions for sending servers which are unjustly
(or justly, but inconveniently) blacklisted... such as Yahoo groups.
This is a client restriction, not an address restriction.

Put that together, and what you've got is:

- check whether recipient/domain should be exempted from DNSBLs
- check whether sending server should be exempted from DNSBLs
- if neither, check a fairly aggressive set of DNSBLs (you could add
more)

Sure, it's a long way from what you asked... but may reduce any
reticence about using blacklists if you can control which domains you
use them for. It also demonstrates postfix SMTP restriction classes,
with which you can do other, similar things. If you do use it, I suggest
you combine it with logwatch so you get a summary of what's being
blocked... but with a sensible choice of DNSBLs it has not caused
problems here.

Hope that helps,

Keith