Corey Halpin wrote:
>   So, I'm the guilty party who has been editing the Fetchmail Howto lately.
> (http://wiki.tmda.net/TmdaFetchMailHowTo).
>   After talking a bit with Hannu Kotipalo, the author of the C xtmdaheader
> program, I am a little confused about what the correct behavior should be for
> xtmdaheader.
>
>   Hannu's version (if I correctly understand):
>   1. Looks for an address in To that matches user(.*)@host
>       if one is found, use it as RECIPIENT.
>   2. Looks for an address in CC that matches user(.*)@host
>       if one is found, use it as RECIPIENT.
>   3. Otherwise, use the last address found in a Received header.
>
>   It's #3 that I'm not sure is correct, for the case of mailing list email.
>
>   I *think* that mailing list mail should have the email address I subscribed
> to the list with as RECIPIENT (and this address is in the Received headers).

Not all Received: lines actually include information about the address
that the message is "to". As such, even though (3) is probably correct,
one needs to limit the search to avoid going back far enough to the
point at which the mailing list host received the message addressed to
the list. How to implement that is probably undefined. A simple
implementation might look at solely the very first Received: header, but
I could conceive a site with internal mail routing where you might need
to look back N hops, where N is as far back as the site-level
Internet-visible MX system.

>   So... can someone who is running TMDA on a mail server look at their
> incoming log for this message and let me know if TMDA thought the recipient
> was tmda-users, or if it was the address that you subscribed with?

See the headers below.