On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 05:21:48PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

> Well, I believe you can configure the envelope sender of challenge
> messages, and an empty envelope sender is a possible value, and that
> could be interpreted as a bounce instead of a reply in some way...

Thanks, Stephen. I'd just come to the same conclusion (see my previous
message), and have tested it out the changes successfully.

The question of whether a challenge is legitimately a bounce message is
probably worth discussing. Certainly, from a smarthost's perspective it
isn't, as it isn't part of an SMTP transaction.

The important thing, though, is that there's a workaround. I'm surprised
no one else has experienced this, though; it may not be worth adding to
the wiki if it's a "just me" sort of thing.

I genuinely appreciate the thoughtful reply.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
        -- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"