Well since no one on the list had any advice to help me fix this, I
wanted to update the list archive in case someone comes along and has
the same problem.  Essentially it would appear that USERNAME (in
~/.tmda/config) has to be set (at least for me).  Obviously it cannot
be set in /etc/tmdarc as that wouldn't make it unique.  I looked at
the python code and if username is not set, then it appears to remain
blank.  So once I found out that I could set USERNAME, I did, and it
worked from there on out.

I would have thought that USERNAME would have been set by the email
address of the recipient, but either my configuration is somehow
different - or that's not how it works.  Anyway, it is resolved.

Thanks
John