And now to answer my own question...

I read some of the archives and delved a bit deeper into the filter
mechanisms, and decided a header line is better than the subject (which I
assume is considered part of the body, correct?).  Looking at the headers
of the six or so lists that I subscribe to I noticed they all contained:

so I easily added:

headers '^X-BeenThere: tmda-users@tmda.net' ok

(as an example) to my incoming filter.  That seems to have done the trick!

Now I am nervously watching the incoming log to see who is getting
through... but so far no spam :)

Thanks,