Ifind it easier to ask people what happened to them now that I use a cane.
It's like it gave me a right of passage.  Maybe that's why we noe wish people
would ask rather than stare.  My way of breaking the ice is "What happened that
causes you to (use a cane, a wheel chair, limp, wear a brace, etc.)  I usuallg
get a smile and good conversation.  I help starring and their embarrassed
parents by saying something like "My legs won't walk straight so I need this to
help."  I'm one who carries noticeable canes and that alone alows for
conversation starters.

Jeff, I can't be the only one wondering what the lift was for since they
wouldn' let you use it.

I worked at a bank and when the couriers brought our shipments of cash and coin
I insisted they use the back door which wasn't wheelchair friendly.  They had a
nifty light weight hard plastic ramp that they grabbed and threw down at the
door for their dolly.    I know it isn't your place to make buildings
accessible, but is there  such a thing wide enough for wheelchair use?  I can't
imagine your frustration.

Patti