> ''Why didn't we have a > drug problem when you and I were growing up?''

very cute,

BUT,

we did have a drug problem when I was a kid:

our president (kennedy) was addicted to opiods that he was first given for a
"bad back".  He also was treated by a " Dr. Feelgood" from  NYC who gave both
the president and his wife" vitamin injections"  that contained amphetamines.
Did you know that Father kennedy made the fortune running drugs- alcohol-
during prohibition?

I knew friends of my father- physicians!- who started the day with a couple of
amphetamine pills, and finished the day with four double martinis and some
phenobarbitol to help them sleep- wasn't that the way Marilyn Monroe died?

When my oldest sister went off to college my father gave her a bottle of "Study
Pills" for the night before exams.  Gee,  I wonder what they contained.

Alcohol has been a major drug- major morbidity and mortality- for thousands of
years.  Alcohol causes much more morbidity and mortality than cannabinoids.

But, we just hid the drug problem till the late 1960's when marijuana first
raised it's ugly head.