Dear Grace,

I can understand that (how exercise can add to the pain, which increases the depression)!

I didn't mean to suggest that there's a simple (and simplistic) answer that just solves everything.  I wasn't trying to say that if people would just exercise, that would take care of it! As a matter of fact, what you say is a good example of the point I was trying to make - that the symptoms of TM make it difficult, if not impossible to get 'normal', relaxing exercise, and therefore contribute another FACTOR to depression.

In my case, it's been several years since I finally learned to get past the depression I'd fought most of my life - since I was a teenager.  I was 50 when I was finally diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse Sydrome, which I'm sure was a FACTOR ina a lot of my problems.  I read how important it was to exercise to get past the inherent fatigue, but it was difficult b/c when you're fatigued it's hard to exercise!  It's like a cycle that could pull you up (i.e.: the more you exercise, the better you feel), but if you can't get 'into' that cycle, it tends to pull you down, making matters worse.  The author (and at that time, one of the few authorities on MVPS) emphasized how important it is, then, to do just a little, consistently, until you can do more, and gradually increase.  This has been my problem all my life, I guess - knowing where the line is, between doing 'enough' but not 'too much'.

Please understand, that I'm just sharing my experience.  I'M NOT TRYING TO SAY THAT THIS IS GOING TO SOLVE ALL OF EVERYONE'S PROBLEMS.  It didn't solve all of mine, but it did help.  My intent is only to share what I've learned, just in case it might help someone else.

Sally

Sally