The following is some of my personal experience with noni juice. Some people I know have gotten relief from their arthritis with noni juice. And, some people have used it effectively for the arthritis in their dogs.  It has alkaloid properties similar to aspirin and so for many has much the same effects as aspirin for aches and pains. If one is allergy to aspirin they would most likely be similarly effected by noni juice.I could not take it as I got the same adverse reaction I do when I take aspirin for too long, ringing in the ears.  It does have a large and devoted following in parts of the world. I really did not notice a bad odor or taste when I used it.
Natalie
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:53 PM
Subject: [TMIC] OT ~ NONI JUICE - NO-NO

NO-NO TO NONI JUICE

Following my recent story on pomegranate juice, readers wrote in
asking about noni juice. Is it as good as pomegranate, they asked?
Given the quantity of mail, it seems that there are some very
impassioned drinkers of noni out there. But, I am sorry to report
that according to our experts, noni does not measure up to its claims.

While there may be interesting compounds in noni juice and some
benefit to drinking it, there is little information or evidence to
back up the extravagant health claims being made by marketers, says
David Winston, founding member of the American Herbalist Guild and
coauthor of Herbal Therapy and Supplements: A Scientific and
Traditional Approach (Lippincott). In fact, multiple noni juice
purveyors on the Web have been sent letters from the US Food and
Drug Administration, warning them to tone down their reckless,
hyped-up claims.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0781726433/blpnet

NOTHING CAN DO EVERYTHING

Noni juice comes from the Morinda citrifolia fruit, which is grown in
the South Pacific in exotic locales such as Tahiti. Its boosters
assert that noni juice is a miracle tonic that lowers cholesterol,
cures headaches, relieves arthritis pain, lessens the symptoms of
cancer, boosts energy and improves allergy and asthma symptoms.
Other ailments marketers claim are helped by noni: High blood pressure,
artherosclerosis, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, drug addiction,
AIDS and pain. The list goes on and on.

But nothing can do everything, observes Winston. And when sales
materials state or imply that a product can do just that, you should
take pause. He adds that most traditional uses of noni juice were
actually as an external, topical treatment for cuts, wounds and
the like.

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...

To add insult to injury, noni juice is expensive and has an
unpleasant odor and flavor, which Winston compares with rancid
cheese. As for safety concerns, two cases of liver toxicity were
attributed to noni juice in a study reported in the August 2005
edition of the World Journal of Gastroenterology. Because the juice
is high in potassium, it should not be used by people with kidney
disease or those taking potassium-sparing diuretic drugs. This
could result in a dangerous buildup of potassium in the body.

The bottom line: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
In this case, the claims for noni juice are definitely too good to
be true.

Be well,

Carole Jackson
Bottom Line's Daily Health News