MS depression: clue to better treatment

PHILADELPHIA, -- U.S. neuropsychologists say depression
increases in some patients with multiple sclerosis, and
that finding might help in better treatment strategies.
"Depressed mood in patients with multiple sclerosis
changes more significantly over time than other stable
depression symptoms such as a negative view of oneself
or problems in sleep, fatigue, concentration, and appetite,"
said Peter Arnett, associate professor of psychology at
Penn State University. In addition, data from the tests
show a larger number of patients in the increased depressed
mood group were also using interferon beta drugs to slow
progression of the disease, but researchers say it is too
early to say whether the drugs might be causing the
depression. "At this point we can only make an inference
but not a causal connection," said Arnett. "We have to
understand the characteristics of how depression changes
and evolves over time. A better understanding of the
natural history of these changes might help inform better
treatment strategies. This is the first study to have done
this." The research appears in the Journal of Neurology,
Neurosurgery and Psychiatry.

Krissy Zodda
Tri State Support Group Leader
(603)589-1894