At 08:19 AM 7/27/2006, Alton Ryder wrote:
Jim, I appreciate how you write about this topic.

Please tell us what you think about stem cell research in the case where the embryo is certain to be thawed and discarded.

Alton

Alton,

In the case where the embryo is certain to be thawed and discarded doesn't change the fact that the stem cells would be removed from something living before being discarded. For people who don't think of an embryo as something living then it is easy to justify that "it's for the greater good, so the ends justify the means to archive it". For people who think an embryo is a life the it is being killed before it's natural death.

Since I do consider an embryo to be a life and it's the Government's duty to protect the life of it's citizens, I don't think the government should fund the deliberate destruction of life for medical research. There are other sources to obtain stem cells from and the government should fund that research.

I know the facts are: Using human embryos for research is not illegal and private companies do it. I know the courts have not ruled that an embryo is a citizen that is entitled to protection.

Jim

Begin forwarded message:

From: Alton Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Date: July 24, 2006 8:36:57 AM EDT
Subject: Re: [TMIC] This I cant believe

Personally, I value the life of a twenty year old much, much more than a frozen embryo that is CERTAIN to be discarded. And the legal environment and statistics ensure that if the parents are determined to discard them, they shall be discarded. If the statistic of discards vs adoptions were not so utterly skewed, I might reconsider my endorsement of the research.  I don't see any massive effort by the objectors to significantly change the adoption rate. ...

----
Jim Lubin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://makoa.org/jim
disAbility Resources: http://www.makoa.org
Please Help: Inkjet & Toner Cartridge Recycling