Medicare of course has its own guidelines as to what they cover and how much they pay. Medicare pays 80% of its ap proved fees. And, AARP supplimental pays 20% of the medicare approved fees. I have not had any problem with having my bills paid, and I have had a lot of tests, and lots of consults.

I have been very happy with AARP, and it is for me at least a lot cheaper than Blue/Cross Blue/Shield supplimental was and every bit as good, perhaps better . The AARP plan I have, does not cover presciptions, although AARP has Plan D. That I have through Humana. I do have to pay Medicares annual deductible, but for a bit more I could get an AARP plan that would pay that. I would recommend AARP and Humana. I pay around $119/mon for AARP and around $17/mon for humana. That to me is really good. Of course I pay the medicare monthly premium also, forget what it is, comes off my check each month(is on medicare website).

Guess I should say that I came to the conclusion to use AARP and humana after requesting information from many of the plans I was eligible for. I went to the medicare website and read through all the plans. Then I picked out what I thought were the best and most affordable looking and sent to them for literature. The medicare site has a lot of information, but to get the full details you need to contact the companies. It is a lot of work, so it is best to start as soon as you can. All and all though, there are so many plans, and some states have different ones, so one probably can never be sure if they have the best plan for them. There are just too many out there, and until you actually would try them, I doubt you can really tell how good they all. But, what I have is working.

Good luck with your decision. I hope this helps.
Natalie Boyles
Hugs to you too ;)

Hi Natalie,

Just wondering something about the insurance thing, as my husband is retiring next year and I need to look at insurance options for the future.

How well does Medicare and AARP cover in combination for your expenses?  Can you fill us all in please?

Thank you, Barbara A

Oops, sending all hugs as well  :)