> She seems to have lost the hope of walking and only tries to walk ...

It is vitally important to her that she concentrate on walking.

   Sitting in a wheelchair becomes, in time, as the muscles atrophy, a
   requirement.  If possible, she should escape while she can, no
   matter how difficult.

   The life expectancy of a wheelie is significantly less than an able
   bodied person.

   Wheelies can have a good life, but the able bodied have more fun.

I'd give my eye teeth for the ability to again walk in the woods, take
care of large animals, climb trees, climb into a boat to go fishing, run
with a kite ........

Alton, who probably could have, but did not, escape from his chair