> [Original Message]
> From: CDER MEDWATCH LISTSERV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2/16/2007 6:35:45 PM
> Subject: FDA - MedWatch - Unsafe, Misrepresented Drugs Purchased Over the
Internet: Ambien (zolpidem tartrate), Xanax (alprazolam), Lexapro (
escitalopram oxalate), Ativan (lorazepam)

> MedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program
>
> FDA informed consumers and healthcare professionals regarding the
> possible dangers of buying prescription medications online.  Individuals
> who ordered Ambien, Xanax, Lexapro, and Ativan over the internet
> received a product that contained haloperidol, a powerful anti-psychotic
> drug.  Several consumers experienced difficulty in breathing, muscle
> spasms and muscle stiffness after ingesting the suspect product and had
> to seek emergency medical treatment. Haloperiodol can cause muscle
> stiffness, spasms, agitation and sedation.  Taking medication that
> contains an active ingredient other than what is prescribed by qualified
> healthcare professionals is generally unsafe.  FDA urges consumers to
> review the FDA website for additional information prior to making
> purchases of medications over the internet
> (http://www.fda.gov/buyonline/).
>
> Read the complete MedWatch 2007 Safety summary, including links to the
> FDA Press Release regarding this issue at:
>
> http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2007/safety07.htm#internet

> To ensure delivery of these timely alerts to your in-box and prevent
rejection of the notice by a spam filter, please add our MedWatch address,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], to your address book.

> Thank you for using FDA MedWatch as a trusted source for timely safety
information on drugs, devices and diagnostics regulated by the U.S. Food
and Drug Administration. If you find this e-mail notification helpful,
please consider telling colleagues and friends about MedWatch and this
e-mail notification process.  They can learn more and subscribe to the
e-list at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/feedback.htm