> [Original Message]
> From: CDER MEDWATCH LISTSERV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2/21/2007 8:46:04 AM
> Subject: FDA MedWatch: Avandia (rosiglitazone maleate) - Increased
incidence of fractures in females noted in clinical trial

> MedWatch - The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program
>
> Glaxo SmithKline (GSK) notified healthcare professionals of the results
> of a randomized, double-blind parallel group study [ADOPT] of 4,360
> patients with recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus followed for
> 4-6 years to compare glycemic control with rosiglitazone relative to
> metformin and glyburide monotherapies. Significantly more female
> patients who received rosiglitazone experienced fractures of the upper
> arm, hand, or foot, than did female patients who received either
> metformin or glyburide. At GSK's request, an independent safety
> committee reviewed an interim analysis of fractures in another large;
> ongoing; controlled clinical trial and preliminary analysis was reported
> as being consistent with the observations from ADOPT. Healthcare
> professionals should consider the risk of fracture when initiating or
> treating female patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus with
> rosiglitazone.
>
> Read the complete MedWatch 2007 Safety summary, including a link to the
> GSK Dear Healthcare Professional letter, at:
>
> http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2007/safety07.htm#rosiglitazone

> To ensure delivery of these timely alerts to your in-box and prevent
rejection of the notice by a spam filter, please add our MedWatch address,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], to your address book.

> Thank you for using FDA MedWatch as a trusted source for timely safety
information on drugs, devices and diagnostics regulated by the U.S. Food
and Drug Administration. If you find this e-mail notification helpful,
please consider telling colleagues and friends about MedWatch and this
e-mail notification process.  They can learn more and subscribe to the
e-list at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/feedback.htm