Dear Friend,

When I started my medical  practice, back in the "olden days," most of my
patients complained and worried  about constipation. Judging from today's
advertising for a plethora of laxatives  and fiber supplements, I assume this
is
still a common concern. People seem to  have some bizarre notion they are going
explode and die if they don't have a  daily bowel movement. Rest assured that
in 40 years of practice, I never saw  this happen to a single person.

It is true that some elderly patients  can develop a fecal impaction, which
may need to be surgically removed. But this  condition is more common in
nursing homes among immobile patients.

Constipation is not the scourge it is made out to be, neither "toxic
accumulation" nor cancer is related to constipation. This is a marketing ploy
by
colonic engineers who have frightened millions of people into their plumbing
chambers with the grim news that "death begins in the colon."

In an  article, published in the British Medical Journal, Dr. James Wharton
of the  University of Washington School of Medicine remarked on the prevailing
"wisdom"  of the 1800s regarding constipation. Back then it was the medical
consensus that  constipation was "the foremost disease of civilization, a
universal affliction  in industrialized societies that engendered the full
range of
more serious human  ailments." A popular diagnosis of the times was
"autointoxication," a poisoning  of the body resulting from a backup of sewage
and,
presumably, seepage of toxins  into the bloodstream. This powerful imagery sold
lot of laxatives and colonic  cleansings.

It isn't surprising that doctors and the general public had  some odd ideas a
hundred years ago. Their scientific knowledge was extremely  limited compared
to today's standards. What does seem strange is that, in spite  our advanced
knowledge, we continue to buy into ideas that are just as  ridiculous as
theirs, and a lot more dangerous. Consider modern myths like the  Great Fiber
Caper, the Cholesterol Paranoia, and the Fluoride Fiasco: What did  the old
doctors
do that was as bad as any of this?

So what should you do  if you’re all stopped up? Just relax. You won't do
yourself, or your colon, any  good by worrying about constipation. In fact,
you're probably making it worse.  Give it some time. Your bowels will move when
they're good and ready.

Folate follies

Vegetarians have always claimed  they get all the folic acid they need from
vegetables. Well, they don't.

A study performed by Dr. Silvina Choumenkovitch, a nutrition researcher  at
Tufts University in Boston, showed that blood samples taken from vegetarians
after folic acid supplementation had a 38% higher level of folate than samples
taken before folic acid fortification. Folate levels in the people studied
were  increased from 87 percent to 96 percent of the acceptable range after
supplementing with folic acid.

The original objective of folate  fortification was to protect against neural
tube defects, a type of birth defect  that affects the brain and spinal cord
and causes conditions like spina bifida.

However, the benefits go far beyond the prevention of relatively rare  birth
defects, good as those benefits are. Folic acid is one of the nutrients  that
aids in the conversion of artery-hardening homocysteine to the non-toxic
cystathionine. Anyone, including vegetarians, that eats a diet devoid of fresh
meat, fish or other animal protein and fat, may see a dramatic decrease in
cardiovascular disease by adding folic acid supplements to their daily regimen.

Getting to the heart of it,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

To start  receiving your own copy of the Daily Dose, visit:
_http://www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/freecopy.html_
(http://www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/freecopy.html)  Or  forward this
e-mail to a friend so
they can sign-up to receive their own copy of  the Daily Dose.