My question is why is a social worker making any of those decisions?
First off after recognizing the need it is up to your doctor alone to make
the call, write the Rx and/or letter of medical necessity to the insurance
company and Durable Medical Provider.  The social workers role is to link you
with appropriate services and help you determine your needs.  If he or she is
doing more
than that, you might speak with his/her supervisor and/or the local social
work licensing board. As a social worker I have seen patients request all
kinds of things that may not be in their best interest. Housing assistance,
Medications, even applying for social security disability have been things that
I have tried to help patients realize they really may not need and might end
in a cycle of dependence. But if they want it, I've gone to the ends of the
earth to get it for them if that is what they truly want. It's not my call. It
is
theirs and their doctors call.
The key is not if you want it, it is if you need it. Do you have a medical
necessity
for this equipment, Rx, or other service. Denis in Texas I would suggest you go
through
an appeals process set up for not only Medicare/medicaid recipients but private
insurance companies also.  Don't give up. You might try vocational rehab. in
your state. Let me know where you live in Texas. I know a few voc. rehab. folks
down that way.  They
might be able to help.

Larry "Scooter" Throne, MSW, LCSW in Oklahoma where not all social workers are
bad
and all scooters are good.