From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 3/24/2008 2:53:28 PM
To: tmic-list-at-eskimo.com
Subject: [TMIC] Monday visit with Jude

I just came home from visiting Jude in the hospital:  (Monday afternoon)

Judy Hoops
Room 4159
Genesys Health System
One Genesys Parkway
Grand Blanc, MI 48439

910-606-5000 - main switchboard

Like the rest of us, Jude  has her days of despair and her days of
determination.  Jude had signed do-not-resucitate papers in the past, but
said she didn't want the purple DNR bracelet when they admitted her Saturday
  She was told she couldn't just go back and forth with this decision and
the person insisted on putting the bracelet on her.  Jude said as soon as
she was able, she starting biting on the bracelet and chewed it off.  She
was pretty smug about it too!
Jude greeted me with a smile when I walked in and we visited for over an
hour.
She had just finished a late breakfast and wasn't hooked up to tubes of any
kind.  When I left, her nurse was starting an IV antibiotic - I knew it was
time leave  - Jude's eyelids were drooping!

Jude's news isn't good - she has been diagnosed with MRSA, the staph
infection that is resistant to antibiotics.  She was moved from the nursing
home to the hospital Saturday morning after a culture that was taken Wed or
Thurs came back positive for MRSA.  The antibiotic, Vacomycin is hard on her
veins so they are putting in a pic line today.

Jude had a bone scan this morning to determine the depth of the infection
that started as a pressure sore.  There in tunneling and it might be in the
bone.  She got this info from the tech, but hadn't seen the doctor yet today

The staff had given Jude a print-out of the MERK Manual definition of MRSA.
You might be interested in reading what she and her husband were given to
read about her diagnosis.  It's harsh. The depth of her wound will be a
detriment.

Jude has given permission to share her diagnosis with the list as she feels
we all need to know what the other is going thru so we can learn and maybe
avoid some of the cruelties of TM.  She wasn't familiar with MRSA and its
life-threatening hold.

I hope you will send cards and notes to Jude or send a post to me that I can
print and take to her on my next visit.  Pam has explained that Jude has no
immediate family and her husband's family doesn't call or visit so she
really does consider the TM family to be her REAL family.  We were talking
about many of you by name, but if I tried to recall I'd leave someone out
and Jude wouldn't tolerate that!

Patti - Michigan