Trudy,
Re your question to Frank, I asked that same question to my neurologist two
weeks ago.  She told me that they are very similar and recommended that I stay
with Neurontin.  I decided to do that but not in the super-increased dosage
that she suggested.  She gave me a prescription for Cymbalta that I haven't
tried yet, to be taken before I exercise.  My understanding is that it's a
muscle relaxant to be taken as needed and I'm anxious to see if it works since
so many in the group take it.
I make notes of all the group's suggestions (thank you all by the way) and my
neurologist would be willing to let me try just about anything, but I can tell
by the look on her face that she doesn't advise me to do it.  And...  I'd
prefer to take as little drugs as possible.  As soon as I read a drug that
someone suggests, I check it on Google, and oh my!  no........... no.........
Scary stuff out there.
As to your question re medical marijuana, Frank gave me instructions some time
ago on how to go about it and I didn't have a problem getting it.  As you do, I
live in Calif. and you shouldn't have a problem either.  The feds still won't
leave it alone and of the 3 pres. candidates, only Obama is calling for needed
change in federal policy to stop federal raids in the 12 states that have
passed laws legalizing its use.  And even his position is not as clear as it
could be.
Good luck.