Straight talk about universal  healthcare

Dear Friend,

It's only April, but the  rhetoric of the 2008 Presidential Campaign is
already at fever pitch. This  November, as in all election years, there are
important issues at stake. One of  them is the issue of socialized medicine or,
use the Democrats' latest  euphemism for it, "universal healthcare." Universal
disaster is more like it.  The Dems do their best to put a positive,
humanitarian spin on the idea, but the  long-term ramifications would be
devastating.

The Democrats would have  you believe that conservatives who are against
universal healthcare take this  stance because they are mean-spirited and
compassionless. Naturally, this isn't  the case. And it's hardly how I feel.

I am against universal healthcare  because I believe it will create one of
the most intrusive government  bureaucracies since the Internal Revenue
Service,
and it will impinge heavily on  the individual freedoms of all American
citizens.

Both Clinton and Obama  would attempt to achieve universal healthcare
coverage by relying primarily on  private insurance. That's right – they would
look
to solve our nation's health  care problems by giving control of the system to
the insurance companies. Wow.

Their plans rely on an "individual mandate" – a legal requirement that  every
person obtain coverage. This is already law in Massachusetts, which  mandates
coverage for both adults and children (more on this below). The
Massachusetts model is exactly what Hillary Clinton would try to impose
nationally.
Obama's plan would only require that parents obtain coverage for  their
children.

One of the key misconceptions among those who support  either Clinton or
Obama is that a universal healthcare system would make  healthcare more
affordable. What delusional planet are they from? Under  socialized medicine,
the
healthcare system may be perceived as being more fair,  but it certainly won't
be
any cheaper.

A better way to describe the  program would be to call it "universal heath
insurance." The idea is that by  compelling everyone in the nation to
participate in the insurance market, you'd  cut down on what's known as the
"free rider"
syndrome. As the term suggests,  this would be people getting a "free ride"
from the healthcare system by  deciding not to get their own health insurance
because they've been assured that  in the case of an emergency or personal
health catastrophe, inexpensive care  will be guaranteed to them by the
government. The theory is that mandated  participation would help to drive down
insurance costs.

But any mandate  requires an enforcement component. My fear is that a
government branch with the  kind of power to actually identify and penalize
those
seeking to avoid the  insurance mandates of universal healthcare would be vast
and all-powerful. The  new healthcare arm of the government would likely have
the same kind of power  (and loathsome reputation) as the IRS.

I'm all about personal freedom  and the rights of individuals. Universal
healthcare is not only impractical, but  costly – and not just for your
pocketbook. It's handing over yet another right  to the government, and
allowing the
government to decide and rule your fate.

I'm not compassionless—I'm just sensible. And universal healthcare as  it's
being proposed by both Clinton and Obama still doesn't make much sense to  me.

The disaster of the Massachusetts universal healthcare system should  give
you a preview of what life under a universal healthcare scheme could be  like.

Keep reading…

The universal healthcare dam  springs a leak

As I mentioned earlier, a Clinton-style program  of mandated health insurance
is already in effect in Massachusetts. Under that  system, subsidized
insurance is made available to individuals earning up to  $30,636 annually, and
families of four earning up to $61,956 per year. The state  government has
begun to
impose stiff fines on residents who fail to purchase  health insurance – and
the penalties can amount to as much as $912 a year!

And this place is already known as "Tax-achusetts!"

Even though  this system is in its infancy, it already has many vocal
opponents. Devon  Herrick, a senior fellow at the National Center for Policy
Analysis
calls the  Massachusetts universal coverage plan "overregulated and largely
unworkable."  Herrick explains that the least expensive health plan available
through the  program costs $196 a month, while the state fine for being
uninsured is about  half that cost -- $98 a month!

After just two years, Massachusetts'  universal coverage program is running
at a staggering $147 million deficit, and  the four insurance carriers who
provide the state- subsidized insurance are  estimating that costs will go up
by
14 percent next year.

Even more  shocking is the manner in which Massachusetts state officials have
decided to  deal with the out-of-control costs of their broken system:
they've ordered the  insurance companies to cut payments to doctors and
hospitals,
reduce choices for  payments, and possibly increase how much patients will have
to pay.

I  only hope that Americans get a good, long look at the disaster that
universal  healthcare has wrought on the economy and people of Massachusetts
before
a  similar catastrophe is unleashed on the whole country. The train wreck in
New  England is headed our way if Clinton or Obama get into the oval office.

America: you have been warned.

Giving you complete coverage on  all the dangers of universal healthcare
coverage,

William Campbell  Douglass II, M.D.

favorites at AOL Food.