Out here in cold cold Calgary, with lots of snow too.  Roads are like ice
rinks.  Current temp at 4 pm is minus 11F (minus 24C) with wind chil of minus
27F (minus 33C)

I finally tried the Lyrica this month.  I have been on 2400 mg of Gabapentin
for 5 years now.  Started out at 3200mg but decreased a few years ago.

My neuro said that to be the equivalent of the 2400mg of Gabapentin I would
need to take 600mg of Lyrica per day.  So on Dec. 8 I started 300mg in the
morning and 12 hours later I took another 300mg.

The Lyrica made a huge difference to me in pain control.  However, on Dec. 16 I
started to notice my ankles swelling and retaining fluid.  That has happened
usually in the summer when it is hot or if I overdo things.  The ankles usually
went back to normal after a good nights rest and I would be fine again.

On Dec. 17 and Dec. 18 my feet, ankles, legs below the knees were retaining
lots of fluid and started to swell more as the day went on.  I called the neuro
yesterday (Dec. 18) for advice.  I know one of the side effects of Lyrica is
swelling in the legs.  Since there is a lot of heart problems in my family this
really frightened me.

The neuro called me this afternoon and we talked about it.  He has put me back
on the 2400mg of Gabapentin.  He said it is unfortunate that it didn't work for
me since it controlled the pain so well.

I asked him if I took less would it still make my legs swell.  I don't remember
his words but he indicated that no matter what dosage I took it would do the
same.

So I'm off the Lyrica and back on the Gabapentin tomorrow.  Glad the pharmacy
suggested only taking one months prescription of the Lyrica (it is more
expensive than the Gaba).

Has anyone else taken Lyrica and then had to go back to the Gabapentin because
of adverse effects?

I'm sure there are lots of us who have and it is just our own body chemistry.
Just wondering how many have been adversely affected.

Heather in cold Calgary