Gracie, Janice should watch that special you were on!!  Janice, Gracie is
our movie star, doncha know???  Jeanne

-------Original Message-------

From: Grace M.
Date: 4/25/2009 8:45:27 AM
To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Subject: [TMIC] Re: Janice--what is NMO?

Hello Janice,

What is NMO?  NMO is extremely rare, much more so than TM from other causes
or Multiple Sclerosis.  It's a particularly devastating neuroimmunological
disease of the central nervous system.  It consists of repeated attacks of
LETM (Longitudinal Extensive Transverse Myelitis) and Optic Neuritis.  Sixty
per cent of patients will also present with brain lesions during the course
of their disease, though not in a pattern consistent with MS.  Within five
years, fifty per cent of patients will already be permanently blind in at
least one eye (Often bilaterally.) and permanently paralyzed in at least one
limb (Often more.)  Within that same time frame, estimates say that 33% of
patients will expire during an acute attack.  It's a BCell mediated disease
in the presence of an autoimmune antibody called the NMO IgG (Current
research is attempting to establish whether or not the antibody itself, is
pathological.)  Unlike TM or MS, our lesions are inordinately long (Covering
three segments of cord or more.) and often present with necrosis and
cavitations.  Also, unlike MS patients, we do not have the option of *riding
out an attack*, but need medical intervention immediately.  Most neuros have
not heard of it, let alone seen or treated a case, so the majority of us end
up at the larger teaching and research facilities.

I'm one of the lucky ones.  I still walk, and can still see.  Many of the
members of our Advocacy Group are already chairbound, bed fast, blind, and
more than a few are vented.  We have also lost members since our launching
in 2006.  It's not a walk in the park.

Mr. Siegel (President of the TMA) has been instrumental in the growth and
direction of our small group of patients.  Not only does he offer great
insight, but gives me those much needed pep talks whenever I am overwhelmed
by the seriousness of it all.  He will be publishing a seperate directory
for NMO patients very shortly.  I will be forever indebted to him for his
support and help.

Hope this helps to explain.
Gracie

<<111.gif>>