Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: [TMIC] Accessibility & Relationships

Add to the list of complaints:  Have you noticed that at many hotels, the ADA rooms are furthest from the elevators?  And yes, you are lucky if they have ADA rooms on the first floor.  Also, the rooms often face the parking lot and seldom the garden, pool or view?  Is this discrimination?  I feel it is.

At some commercial stores or restaurants we have had to get Terry through the kitchen or the back door to get to the bathroom. In one instance, we had to go two buildings down!   In passing, I mentioned this to a Civil Rights attorney I know and he said, "lawsuit".  We haven't pursued that, of course.  This friend has filed many suits against large hotel chains, music festivals, etc., as they are hardly ADA compliant.  He himself is disabled and knows first hand the discrimination.  I am not saying whatsoever that every place discriminates, not by a long shot.  But many business owners are not very aware of the disadvantages that people in wheelchairs are faced with.

That's my tangent for the day.  As a wife of a TM'er, if I have time tomorrow, I will try to address the relationship issue.