From: kevin weilacher
Date: 7/2/2009 10:01:03 AM
To: TMIC
Subject: [TMIC] Arts and being artistic

I'm just going to briefly resurrect this thread...I've been watching all the
posts about the subject and also through meeting some of the other TMr's
through Facebook and the TM Network I've discovered that quite a few of them
have taken to some form of art since the onset of TM.

Up until my TM onset I would have never considered myself artistic...I was
always very mechanical, preferring to wrench on a race car or such..
considering my current limitations now with TM, doing the mechanical things
just aren't quite so easy anymore....so I looked for another outlet...I had
too. I was making myself and my wife nuts.

One day while at a book store I was browsing through some magazines and came
across a wood carving magazine. There was an article in there about carving
wood spirits" which I found very intriguing and I thought to myself...I can
teach myself to do that. I've recently finished my first one and also have
taken on to making hand made walking canes with wood spirit handles...

So, I think perhaps I may have found my particular niche and just may give
this a go.

Here are some links to what I have done so far...
My first wood spirit..
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/hwyflier2/?action=view&current=face1
jpg

Cane that I made for myself
http://s80.photobucket
com/albums/j164/hwyflier2/?action=view&current=IMG_0518.jpg
http://s80.photobucket
com/albums/j164/hwyflier2/?action=view&current=IMG_0520.jpg

and the first cane I made to sell...and is already sold...
http://s80.photobucket
com/albums/j164/hwyflier2/?action=view&current=newcane1.jpg
http://s80.photobucket
com/albums/j164/hwyflier2/?action=view&current=newcane2.jpg
http://s80.photobucket
com/albums/j164/hwyflier2/?action=view&current=newcane3.jpg

I am obviously going to be honing my skills as I go on but I've already
gotten feedback from some seasoned woodcarvers that are telling me that I'm
going in the right direction....
I may have found a new career after all....and I like that thought after
being unable to work now for just over a year.

So, I guess I would say to the others out there that have been devastated by
TM and cannot work...look into trying some kind of crafty little projects..
you may just find something you like and perhaps make a little extra cash on
the side. You never know.

<<01_tile.jpg>>

<<01_side.gif>>