http://windstreampower.com/Human_Power_Generator.php
"AC appliances can be used with the Human Power Generator by using a DC-AC inverter connected to a battery for stability (see our Portable Power Pack). It is also possible to directly power certain DC powered equipment such as a low power water pump without using a battery. Appliances such as a DC television, light or radio may also be used. However, with this application, a voltage regulator may be required and keep in mind that the electrical current delivered, follows the same rhythym of your pedaling - which is not constant.

The amount of electrical power that can be generated by the Human Power Generator is determined by the energy available to turn the crank . The stronger the user, the more electrical power can be produced. Typical output in watts with the Human Power Generator is about 60 Watts or 35 Watts with handcranks. "Human Power Generator: $550.00

A battery is optimal and they offer a 12v Storage- Electromate 400 for $130

Sigh. So to get a back up and self powered energy source I would have to spend about $700.
At least I now know it exists.