---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Berg <molokai...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM
Subject: Fwd: Stem Cell research to regrow the myelin sheath
To: mauiji...@gmail.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Berg <molokai...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM
To: lani_...@hotmail.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <sciresea...@shepherd.org>
Date: Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: Stem Cell research to regrow the myelin sheath
To: James Berg <molokai...@gmail.com>

Hello Mr. Berg,
Thank you for your email and your offer to participate in stem cell studies.
I am sorry to hear about your experiences since March. It must be very
frustrating.

As you know, the Geron stem cell project is only working with those with
very recent injuries at this point. This first stage is only with a few
participants to see if the cells are safe. The next stage will see if the
cells are at all effective in a larger group with very recent injuries.
Unfortunately, this full process takes years. I do not know Geron's plan for
testing people with more chronic injuries/conditions, but I doubt they will
test this group before knowing the results of these first two stages of
research. At least we are finally taking the first steps though!

You are welcome to visit our website, *www.shepherd.org*, and click on the
Research tab to review all of our ongoing research projects here and contact
information for the coordinator of each project. There is also an online
"Intake Form" to send information that would be kept in a secure database.
Our coordinators use this database to look for people to contact who might
qualify for their studies.

Feel free to contact me again if you have any further questions.
Best wishes to you,
Leslie

Leslie VanHiel, BME, MSPT, CCRC
SCI Research Program Coordinator
Shepherd Center
404-350-7681

  *James Berg <molokai...@gmail.com>*

10/12/10 05:24 PM
sciresea...@shepherd.org
cc
  Subject
Stem Cell research to regrow the myelin sheath

My name is James Berg and I have Transverse Myelitis.  It began suddenly in
March of this year and the traditional steroid and blood antibody treatments
mere no help.  I have no use of my legs, bladder or bowels.  I would like to
be considered for your stem cell testing program.  I understand that the
current testing is for very recent injuries but I am hoping you may be
moving forward with testing on individuals who have had the problem for
several months.  I can provide hospital records and a complete spinal MRI on
Disk.  My problem lies at T-10 to T-12.  Please contact me if my body can be
of service.

James Berg
ForwardSourceID:NT00002276