My husband over the course of testing it was discovered that he might have
Lymphoma (non-hodgkins type so treatable and curable).  He is back in the
hospital to run further tests so they can make a diagnosis regarding the
lymphoma because previous tests were inconclusive.  So when I contacted his
Neuro yesterday with regards to John being a candidate for the Switzerland
trials of stem cell here is how she answered my email:

I think it is important that John getting the testing that we laid out
previously, as lymphoma would be treated much differently than other causes
of spinal cord injury (and stem cell treatment would have no role in that
case).  Prior to that evaluation being completed, I don't think that he
could be a candidate for this.  I believe this treatment is more aimed at
motor (not sensory) function, with which John has made significant strides
with PT.  Most of these studies are aimed at individuals with
para/quadraplegia.  I will see what I can find out, but I think it is a very
long shot.

He was admitted yesterday because his transfers were getting sloppy AGAIN
and it appeared that he was having a relapse AGAIN.  Each time he has been
given steroids and he responds fairly well and can walk about 100 feet with
a walker but then must get back in the wheelchair.  One of the treatments
for Lymphoma is steroids so this is why they are leaning more towards the
lymphoma.  Early on in this nightmare.in one of his MRI of thoracic spine
they saw a slightly enlarged lymph node which could be indicative to the
lymph system cleaning out the viral infection or lymphoma.  Since his TM is
idiopathic they keep looking for a reason and lymphoma in VERY RARE cases
can cause TM if it should wreak havoc in the spine.  Steroids is also how
they treat TM..so it is all so up in the air at this point but these tests
over the next few days should show something and if it is lymphoma they will
begin treatment.

It has been a very long and bumpy ride through this medical adventure.  John
began getting symptoms on August 10th, hospitalize on August 29th, Diagnosed
on September 4th with Idiopathic TM, and then it has been acute rehabs,
hospitalized in ICU for pulmonary embolism and insertion of vena cava
filter, back to rehab, home for 14 days, hospitalized for relapse, home for
5 days, hospitalized with pneumonia, home for 5 days, and now back in the
hospital with relapse and tests to diagnose lymphoma or not.  He has been
home a total of 24 days since August 29th...and whatever could go wrong has.

Hopefully even if it is lymphoma that is causing the TM, damage to the spine
has taken place and we hope that he will be a candidate for the trials in
Switzerland...time will tell and we are keeping our fingers crossed.   We
are hoping that it doesn't matter how the spinal cord gets injured to be a
candidate for these trials.

Thanks to this group for helping us get through a very difficult time right
now.  YOU are the only ones that could even imagine what he is going through
right now.  I am so thankful for finding this group.it has been so helpful.

Emily Meyers

For John Meyers T7 - T11

  _____