planet earth sucks.

glad i aint from around here!

--- On Fri, 4/1/11, Akua <a...@artfarm.com> wrote:

From: Akua <a...@artfarm.com>
Subject: [TMIC] OT: the Garbage Story
To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 5:29 PM

After seeing how a show about the need for change ( environmental practices) I
wrote my rep.
We have to PAY to get recycling picked up and it only happens once every two
weeks.
I complained  that i do not use the city garbage which means no recycling is
picked up
from me. I pay $24.79 to have garbage picked by another service, because they
will
come to my back door to get my can. The Tiny City won't. and the city won't
collect my recycling unless I also buy a city garbage bag  and have that  next
to the recycling.

Here's what my rep wrote

Yes you have to have a bag because the city has to pay for our city workers to
pick up the recyclable in a special truck that had to be bought, gassed and
maintained-nothing is free. Again the cost is in place for every city and
either it is paid by the bag fee or by taxes that hide the cost. Ours is the
best deal. You need to understand how it actually works and costs. As for your
accessibility to the curb-that I can not help you with. If your home requires
added expenses due to its location or layout- you can not ask the city tax
payers to help you. Other ADA  compliant housing is available within the city.

 my reply:

I am bemused and insulted by your reply. I have owned my home for 17 years and
pay taxes.
My taxes have educated many children, none of whom were mine.
Part of being a citizen includes paying for things that others need. So your
remarks at the end are galling!
How my concern about getting recycling picked up devolved into  telling me I
need to move,
I don't know.
I already told you that I PAY for my garbage. How does this translate into" you
can not ask the city tax payers to help you" ?????!!!!!!!
That my concern about our lack of rigor in recycling and that we CHARGE for it
( other places collect multiple times a week whereas we do it  just twice a
month and have to pay for it)  is met with such hostility,  is untoward.
You have indicated that you disagree.  Fine. But disagreement does not beget
insult. That is a trespass.
I have always found our system of recycling wanting. When I was able-bodied, I
drove my recycling to the recycling station, this was my committment to our
planet.  Why does the revenue from recycling not offset the cost of collection?
Recycling is supported and encouraged all over the world -- it is seen as a
revenue source for other municipalities. Here, we are charged for it. I can't
see how this encourages people to recycle.

Akua