Hi John,
   I've been on SS disability since early 1996;got tm August 1995.
Did it say in your acceptance letter you would not get retroactive 5 months?As
far as I know,everyone gets a check (or direct
deposit ) with 5 months benefit. I remember  I had to send mine to the long
term disability insurance company,because they had paid my full 60% from onset
of my benefits. (Now I get half from each,until June when I turn 65 and my LTD
ends and my pension starts.)

   Every January,I get a SS Benefit Statement.It shows:
     my net benefit
     medicare pat B deducted from my  benefit
     adds the 2 and that is my total benefit

   On the other side there is Notice 703-Read this to see if your SS benefits
may be taxable
     Line A  enter total benefit
     Line B enter one half of line A
     Line C  enter your total income that is taxable ,such as
pensions,wages,etc.
     Line D  enter any tax exempt interest
     Line E   add lines B,C,and D and enter Then read below

    Part of your SS benefits may be taxable if for 2010 you were
   1)  single and line E is above $25,000
   2) married ,file jointly and line E is above $32,000 OR
       you file separately and line E is more than zero(more than $25,000 if
you lived apart from your spouse for all of 2010

   I am divorced  and have not filed any tax return since I became disabled,but
I almost reached the $25,000 limit this year.
   I hope this helps;contact me with any questions,and I'll try to help.
            Cheryl in sunny Easthampton,MA